They can be bearable or totally unbearable, they may prefer to appear during specific times of your life or they may be stubborn enough to make your life miserable for an extended period.
I am talking about Hemorrhoids, an often-painful condition that 75% of the people can develop even once in their lives.
Piles are unpleasant and cause pain as well as other symptoms such as bleeding which may feel alarming to some people in the first place, but they are not difficult to deal with especially at an early stage.
6 Reasons Why Essential Oils Are Good For Hemorrhoids
If you want to avoid using Hydrocortisone creams or ointments to relieve the swelling and itching of piles, essential oils can provide you with a successful natural alternative.
- Reduce swelling. By promoting blood clotting, stopping excessive blood flow and boosting microcirculation, the piles shrink.
- Minimize blood vessels inflammation. Due to their astringent properties, specific essential oils can reduce inflammation and therefore help hemorrhoids heal faster.
- Relieve pain. They own analgesic and sedative properties which can reduce pain and have a soothing effect.
- Reduce redness, itching, and burning. Inflammation in piles can lead to redness and even itchiness. With their anti-inflammatory properties, essential oils can be effective in relieving those symptoms.
- Stop Bleeding. By reinforcing the blood vessels walls and healing the tissue division, they can stop or even prevent piles from bleeding.
- Relieve anxiety and depression symptoms which can lead to the blood vessels dilating.
Best Essential Oils For Hemorrhoids
1. Cypress Essential Oil (Cupressus sempervirens)
With its calming spicy aroma and its healing and calming properties, Cypress essential oil is one of the most used essential oils for piles.
This oil helps blood vessels contract and can tighten the tissues as well as promote normal flow of the blood to the area. By promoting the tissues’ blood clotting, it can deal with bleeding piles.
In addition, its astringent properties help minimize the swelling and the symptoms of inflammation. By minimizing the swelling, the pain of external hemorrhoids is also reduced.
When inhaled, its soothing and calming nature infuses a feeling of emotional stability which can help people who suffer from constipation due to anxiety.
2. Chamomile Essential Oil (Chamomilla matricaria)
Chamomile contains Azulene, an organic compound that is well known for its anti-inflammatory properties and its ability to heal wounds.
As a natural anti-inflammatory and skin soothing ingredient, Chamomile essential oil blend can be used to soothe piles, reduce swelling and minimize redness. Due to its natural analgesic benefits, it can prevent itchiness and provide pain relief.
Due to its stress-relieving abilities, you can inhale it to relieve anxiety and depression symptoms that can lead to constipation and piles.
3. Helichrysum Essential Oil (Helichrysum italicum)
Widely used in traditional medicine for a wide variety of health issues, Helichrysum essential oil has been considered as sacred in some cultures.
It has strong anti-inflammatory properties which can help shrink haemorrhoids and reduce their symptoms while it can also boost circulation.
It is anti-microbial and anti-fungal while its analgesic benefits can help reduce pain. Its ability to promote tissue growth makes it useful for skin regeneration and healing.
Due to the ability of this floral plant to relieve the digestive system, it is good for constipation when taken internally in the form of tea or other recommended ways.
In addition, it can be inhaled to relieve stress and depression that are often linked to the appearance of piles.
4. Lavender Essential Oil (Lavandula angustifolia)
Lavender essential oil can be very beneficial for people suffering from blood circulation problems caused by stress. Stress and anxiety can lead to the blood vessels dilating.
With its ability to relieve tension, lavender can lead to the reduction of piles irritation when inhaled.
Due to its analgesic properties, it can relieve piles pain while due to its astringent effect, it can help reduce inflammation and its symptoms.
Of course, lavender is great for improving your sleep, which is something that relaxes your body and promotes better toilet habits.
5. Juniper Essential Oil(Juniperus Communis)
Juniper has an earthy, woody and sweet aroma that promotes stress relief. Some of its properties make it great for piles healing.
With its ability to boost blood circulation and stimulate the lymphatic system, juniper helps the system deal with excessive blood flow and get rid of the waste that promotes swelling of hemorrhoids.
It is anti-inflammatory and soothing for the skin, as well. Its aromatherapy qualities include relieving stress and supporting the nervous system, a benefit that can be very useful for stress-related issues that cause piles. It can also relieve pain.
6. Geranium Essential Oil (Pelargonium graveolens)
This anti-inflammatory natural oil is beneficial for hemorrhoids and especially for bleeding piles.
With its ability to promote blood clotting, it is topically used on cuts, incisions, wounds, bruises, and scratches to stop bleeding and regenerate tissues so that the affected area heals faster.
These features make geranium essential oil a wonderful method to stop piles from bleeding and help them shrink and heal fast. Also, its antiseptic function keeps the affected area protected from microbial or fungal infections.
In addition, its sweet floral and relaxing aroma can relieve stress, depression and mental fatigue. Known to support hormone balance, it can be used to reduce PMS symptoms such as mood fluctuations and even some symptoms of menopause
7. Myrrh Essential Oil (Commiphora myrrha)
Myrrh is a highly therapeutic ingredient with qualities that make it excellent for hemorrhoids healing.
As an astringent, Myrrh essential oil can stop piles from bleeding and at the same time promote quick healing. It also boosts circulation and promotes tissue regeneration.
It has a strong anti-microbial and anti-fungal function while its anti-inflammatory properties help reduce the negative symptoms of this condition.
In addition, its scent is known to reduce tension and negative thoughts. When topically used, it is moisturizing for the skin.
8. Frankincense Essential Oil (Boswellia carterii)
It can be difficult to spell and pronounce, but Frankincense essential oil is a generous oil when it comes to helping us deal with various health issues, and one of them is healing piles.
It has rich anti-inflammatory benefits and is widely used to relieve different types of pain as well as stop the bleeding of the wounds and promote their healing. This makes it very helpful in stopping piles from bleeding and healing them fast.
Frankincense has also shown to slow down breathing and relieving the nervous system, a property that is useful in calming stress, anxiety and even anger when you use this oil for inhalation.
How To Use Essential Oils For Hemorrhoids
Essential Oil Rub
- 2 tsp. sesame or almond carrier oil
- 3 drops cypress
- 3 drops geranium
- 2 drops chamomile
Mix all the ingredients in a glass jar and apply 2-3 times a day when your piles are irritable. As a preventive measure, you can use it a few times every week. It will also lubricate the area and help in case of constipation.
This recipe contains witch hazel, a natural astringent and antiseptic that shrinks blood vessels and has skin soothing properties that can relieve hemorrhoid pain and itchiness. It is also a natural antioxidant and anti-inflammatory ingredient.
Aloe Vera gel is a great astringent and a wound healer. It can even be used on its own as a natural stool softener.
- 4 tsp. aloe vera gel
- ½ tsp. witch hazel that is free of alcohol
- 2 drops juniper
- 2 drops myrrh
- 1 drop geranium
- 1 drop lavender
Mix all the ingredients together and keep the gel in a clean glass container.
Cold Compress For Piles
This recipe is best used for external hemorrhoids.
- ½ liter cold water
- 4 drops myrrh
- 3 drops lavender
- 3 drops geranium
- 1/4 cup Epsom salt
Blend the oils and put it in a small glass bottle. Add Epsom salt to a bowl of water and stir well, then add the oil blend. Soak a small cotton towel in the water and wring it out. Softly apply the towel to the affected area and keep it there for 2-3 minutes. Repeat the process 1-2 times a day.
Positive results can be usually seen on the third day of use.
Soothing Pads for Piles
- 5 tsp. of calendula lotion
- 3 drops of cypress
- 3 drops of juniper essential
- 3 drops of geranium
- 3 drops of myrrh
Mix all the ingredients well and store in a glass jar. Soak a cotton pad in the mixture and softly apply on the affected area. Repeat 2-3 times a day.
Sitz Bath Method
A sitz bath is good for relieving the pain and discomfort associated with hemorrhoids. Here is how to prepare one.
- 3 drops sandalwood
- 3 drops cypress
- 3 drops chamomile
- 1 tsp. of milk
Mix the milk with the essential oils well. Fill a normal bathtub with 3-4 inches of warm water and pour the blend in the water. Spend 15-20 minutes of your time to relax in water until the temperature of the water gets cooler.
Alternatively, you can use a specially built device that fits into a toilet bowl.
- Hemorrhoids is not a life-threatening condition but the sooner you deal with them once they occur, the less unpleasant and painful the symptoms will be.
- Essential oils promote blood clotting and stop excessive blood flow, boosting circulation and strengthening blood vessels, which prevents them from breaking and therefore bleeding.
- The astringent properties of essential oils make piles shrink while their anti-inflammatory features help in dealing with unpleasant symptoms such as pain, itchiness, burning, and redness. They also have anti-microbial, anti-fungal as well as skin soothing and healing benefits.
- If after following all the above methods and tips, you see that your symptoms are getting worse and they unbearably interfere in your day to day life, you should consider seeking for some medical advice.